Thursday, April 17, 2008

The email that changed our lives

Here is the forwarded message I received from my AdoptKidswithCP group:

Dear Families,

My name is Hanni. I live in Northern California and have three daughters adopted from China -- all were adopted at older ages. Two summers ago, we were in a foster care village in Anhui province, where my youngest daughter (age 10) is from. We went there to see where she had lived with a foster family for four years. While visiting one of the houses in the village, one of my older daughters (Fang Fang) said to me, "Mom, look at that little girl over there." There, in a little wooden chair was an exquisite child. Her eyes followed us everywhere but she did not move in her chair. Fang Fang asked about her (she speaks Mandarin fluently) and the foster mom said she did not speak but was very smart and learned things quickly. We said good-bye, but when we got to our next stop and downloaded our photos, we were once again swept away by this little girl's presence and we could not forget her. When we returned home from China, we asked Love Without Boundaries if they could assist us in helping her and they did. A year ago, dear friends donated money for this child at my 50th birthday party, and she started receiving treatments in a rehabilitation hospital in Hefei. She has Cerebral Palsy and at first, she could not sit or stand. Gradually, she was able to do these things with some support, and after several months, she was speaking as well as her peers. People were amazed with her progress! We found out her name, but we have always called her our "Little Girl in Pink." On the hot summer day that we met her, she was dressed in a bright pink top, and often in pictures we received of her afterwards, she would invariably be wearing pink clothes!

She has grown and developed in some wonderful ways. She is still not walking but those who work with her hope that one day she will. Doctors and therapists are thinking about how to further strengthen her legs. My daughter, Fang Fang (almost 15) returned to Anhui last summer and was reunited with her. She called me from China and told me she could not believe how smart she was. She said, "Mom, she is brilliant!" Of course I cried. This week I got some news I have been hoping would come. Love Without Boundaries tells me that Little Girl in Pink's paperwork is being submitted so that she can be adopted. They asked me if I knew anyone who might have any interest in adopting her. This beautiful girl will no doubt speak to a family -- she is a sweet, intelligent child who is beautiful inside and out. She is truly special needs having CP, but I will be so thrilled if she can find her way here where she can have more opportunities for therapy and education. There may not be many who want to adopt a child who is not walking yet, (she is around 3 years old), but I know her forever family is out there. If you know of anyone who might be interested in learning more about our Little Girl in Pink, please contact me.

We have a progression of photos of her, starting with the day we met her to close to the present. We have other good information about her as well. Fang Fang also took some video of her last summer. When Fang Fang left her, this little girl burst into tears. The nannies caring for her said she is very sensitive and does not like it when people say good-bye to her. This broke Fang Fang's heart of course, but I was thrilled to hear that she is so aware of her surroundings. She is an amazing girl!Thanks for letting me share our story. On behalf of our Little Girl in Pink, I felt I had to. Fang Fang and I are hoping that whoever adopts her will be open to staying in touch with us. We will always love this joyful child and hope she can be not far from us so we can celebrate milestones with her and her family.

Hanni

No comments: