We made it safely to Guangzhou! The day started off slow because we did not have to leave the hotel until noon. Jane took us to the airport and we said our goodbyes. That was another hard one. We will keep in touch, Jane! The plane ride was only about 1.5 hours. RunYi did great until landing, when I think her ears started hurting and we couldn't explain what was happening. She started yelling at us in Chinese again, hitting and scratching. We were the only white people on the plane, only non-Asian, minus 2 black guys (not American). You can imagine the stares when we were waiting to deplane. I wish I knew what she was saying. We finally got to the terminal, got our luggage and Helen was there waiting with a smile. When we got close to Shamian Island, Kevin and I both recognized things. We are staying at the Victory Hotel this time. I told them we wanted a room at the Old Victory, but we have one at the New Victory--the room is great, and at this point, it I am kind of at a "whatever" point. We got settled into our room and walked to Lucy's Cafe for supper. We ordered RunYi chicken fried rice. It was a huge plate. The thing about this girl is she has the need to clean her plate, no matter what. I'm sure it is an orphanage behavior. If we go there again, we will ask for a 1/2 order so she won't feel like she has to eat it all.
Our travel mates Todd & Faye should be at the White Swan. Their flight and Cynthia's were both delayed, and they arrived late. Cynthia's flight is not arriving until 9:10pm tonight. Our guide Helen told us that Cynthia had called our agency upset because she was stranded at the airport with a busy 4 year old with no means of communicating. I can only imagine. RunYi is exhausting for us and we have 3 people to deal with her. Kevin and Gavin are going to go along to the airport to welcome her to Guangzhou. I'm sure she will be happy to see 2 familiar faces.
Okay, now it is the next morning. I did not finish this post last night. Cynthia arrived safely and we will meet up with both families this morning for the medical exam. RunYi will most likely have to get 4 shots to meet US requirements. I am so mad about this, but there is truly nothing we can do about this if we want to bring her home.
Side note: Kelly P. If you are reading this. Gavin is broken out in chicken pox this morning. And he even has had TWO shots. He was very tired yesterday and we wondered if he was getting sick. Now we know he was. He has more pox than Karson did, but not bad. I am laughing, not mad. I am mad that one of the shots US requires is the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine. I am hoping that the doctor will agree with me that the scars she has on her tummy and back look like chicken pox scars and she won't have to get the shot.
Enjoy the pictures and video... I will post more later.
Friday, April 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Just a few more days until you are home!! I hope that you can convince them that the she doesn't need the vaccine. There are links to it being a cause of the increase in juvenile diabetes. (Not met to alarm you or anything) I am happy to read that she has developed good attachments to others, that has got to be a huge relief. Now just comes the patience! Is there anyway you can get her to chew gum or suck on her sippy cup when you land, it should help relieve the pressure in her ears, although I am sure you already know this! :OP Hang in there!! Still praying for you!
Michelle
I'm so sorry that your son has chicken pox!!!!! I hope the rest of your trip goes well. Thanks you so much for the pictures of my little guy, I just stare at them all day! The video really made him real to me! Hang in there!!!!
OH NO!! Chicken Pox??? I hope RunYi doesn't get them! For all of our adoptions we have been able to just sign the waiver stating you will get the immunizations in the states within 30 days of arriving home. Do they not do this in China any longer? We signed one in VN in Jan for our daughter.
The video is precious! Love that laugh!!
I hope Gavin isn't too itchy!!
Seriously....CHICKEN POX!!!!! I hope he doesn't have a bad case of it. My kids had it so mild I wondered if it really was chicken pox! Where does Run Yi put it all, she is soooo tiny! Video was great! I talked to Graycen yesterday, she is such a hoot! I love the way she calls me by my first and last name...everytime she has a new sentence to say! She just cracks me up. Graycen and Run Yi are going to be a so much fun together after the initial shock. I hope you let me come often so I can watch them together! Scratch Gavins back for me!!
Missing you,
~ Kim
Just wanted to stop by and say hello! Found your blog from RQ. My husband left today for GZ to meet our 4-yr-old daughter. He receives her on the 20th and is in GZ his whole trip. He's also at the Victory. I don't know how long you will be there, but maybe you will see him. He'll be the tired-looking Asian guy who clearly doesn't speak Chinese, with a new 4-yr-old daughter! ;-)
Your little girl is absolutely adorable! I'm enjoying following along. Have a safe trip home.
Jen
What a sweet video!!!! She looks like she adores her ge ge!
Post a Comment